Thursday, October 20, 2016

Travel to NE Part 4


Shelburne Falls is a cute and quaint little town. Things I enjoyed most were the Bridge of Flowers, a potter I met and just the general look of the town.









Since I was so close I drove to Deerfield, that didn't do much for me but then I did not tour any of the historic sites. I DID love seeing this giant pumpkin on the porch!!


From there north to Brattleboro, VT, stopping along the way at the nicest rest area I've ever been in.

I liked Brattleboro a lot, visited my friend Greg Worden who owns a gallery there. They have a lot of nice shops in their downtown, galleries, several independent book stores, and the sweetest florist shop I've ever been in. It's tiny with lots of unusual plants and gifts, all made by the owner, from pots to cards to jewelry! Maybe some day when I retire from CC I'll have a tiny shop like this - or not.



From there to the lake district of New Hampshire, wow -  loved the lakes and can't believe I'd never been there before. I could spend the summer there, of course the lakes in Michigan are just as beautiful.


Rode the COG Railroad to the top of Mt Washington, it was fun. The top of the mountain was not clear but it was still neat, -1 with 50 mph winds. There is a great museum up there, restaurant and gift shop. Just for fun and to remember how cold -1 is I stood outside for about 20 minutes in the weather. It was invigorating but 20 minutes was enough.








I was going to go to Manchester but decided to go east to Kennybunkport, remembering how pretty that area was and it had some nice shops. I've been looking for another spinner for our porch. So glad I went there because a gallery had a yard full of Lyman Whitakers spinners. I've followed his work for years seeing it in Asheville and Naples, FL but have never seen that variety. This was the treat of the trip, getting one myself. I'll post photos of it at home once I get it installed.



Everywhere I went were beautiful flowers!





Of course had to drive along the water to gaze at the Bush estate.



From there south to Newburyport. I walked into Valeries Gallery, I've been in a business Association with her for years but we don't see each other too often. I walked in and she said Jan? I was surprised she recognized me but she follows me on Facebook (and I her) so is used to seeing my face there. She has a nice little gallery. 


Then off to Rockport in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment