Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Travel to NE part 2

From the Northern Neck I drove straight to Morristown, NJ. My ancestors, David Trowbridge and his son Samuel Trowbridge were early settlers of the area. David was born in Conneticut in 1709 and died in Morristown in 1792 where he and his wife Lydia Holmes settled after their marriage in 1735.

At that time it was called Morrice County, West New Jersey (30 miles west of NYC). He was a farmer and their land was on a mountain which was called (and still is) Trowbridge Mountain. There is a memorial to 9/11 there, since many Morristown residents were killed during that attack.





Samuel was born there in 1742 and later moved to Frederick, Maryland, where he died. He fought in the Revolutionary War and was Methodist minister.

After visiting the memorial I walked around the Downtown, and the square (I always love a town with a square!). This beautiful hotel and restaurant is just off the square.


George Washington spent the winter of 1779-1780 in the Ford Mansion there. It is now a historical site. 


The other thing I really enjoyed was the Morris Museum and their collection - The Murtogh D. Guinness Collection of Mechanical Musical Instruments and Automata! 


Of course I always have to drive around and look at the historic homes, love old architecture!

The down side of Morristown is that there is a LOT of traffic, a little too crazy for me.

Then I was off to North Adams, MA, visiting a few towns along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment