Friday, January 07, 2011

Brian Evans ceramics

Welcome back potter Brian Evans.

We have represented Brian off and on for about 10 years and are always amazed at his skill in creating his pots. Both thrown and hand built.

Each piece is one of a kind and he is continually experimenting with both his forms and glazes.


Artist: Brian Evans
I graduated in 1993 from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.A. in Art Studio. I moved to Wilmington, North Carolina in 1995. With only one ceramic course under my belt I decided to take a Continuing Education course in Ceramics at Cape Fear Community College.

There I studied under a Japanese-American Potter named Hiroshi Sueyoshi. I immediately recognized the caliber of Hiroshi’s skills as an artist and took full advantage of his instruction. I’ve also taken classes under Don Johns who has been a great influence to me.

Since 1997 I have attended many pottery workshops which include artists of the highest skill level and artistic ability.

In the fall of 2002, I began teaching Pottery Classes at Cape Fear Community College at the beginner’s level. I also became a full-time ceramic artist. Since 2002, I have received various awards at Fine Art Shows and Art Festivals. In 2003 and in 2005, I was awarded The Regional Artist Grant for New Hanover County.

I make pottery because I find the tactile experience of artistic expression in clay exciting. The feeling of the clay in my hands and the rhythm of the potter’s wheel can be quite therapeutic. I enjoy the experience of the smell, sound, and energy of the kiln while firing. I especially enjoy the comradery that the pottery community offers.

My pottery mainly consists of vessel forms. I use the potter’s wheel as my primary means of construction. I enjoy making vessel forms because they are an intimate part of the daily rituals of people’s lives. This relationship between the object and person is very important to me.

I am recognized mostly for my alternative fired pottery such as Raku and Saggar fired vessels. I draw inspiration for these pieces from classical forms, from nature, and from fellow artists. My goal is to strive for the highest quality in my work as well as to continuously better myself as a professional artist.

For more information about these pieces and to see more visit his page on our website and just click on the image.

Visit Brian Evans page by clicking here.

Janet Francoeur

No comments:

Post a Comment