Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Meet the Artist - Steve Fabrico

Have you seen the sculpture "Exterrestrial Totem" in the sculpture park at the corner of Middle and Broad Street? It won first place in the scupture contest last year winning $10,000 and a place in our city's sculpture collection which will be along the Riverwalk as it develops.

It was created by Steve Fabrico. I met Steve about 5 years ago and we've been friends ever since. Steve also does functional pottery in addition to his sculpture which we've been carrying at Carolina Creations. At the same time I met him he told me he was getting ready to have a workshop at his studio. I said "sign me up!"

He's a great teacher and a real character. I learned a lot at the workshop and have created my own totem using what he taught me at the corner of our driveway on East Front Street.

Here's what Steve has to say about himself and his work:

I decided to become a potter by accident, in the early 70’s when I happened to walk by the ceramic room in the college I was attending. At this point in my life I was only in school because the Veteran’s Administration was paying me to be there.

Ceramics looked like something I could handle. Before I could sign up for a basic ceramics course I was already hanging out watching students throw and also attempting it myself. The following semester I had my first ceramics course and knew more about it than my instructor, who was a painter and had never taught ceramics before.

So, as they say; the hook was set, and the world of pottery/ crafts reeled me in slowly. Five years later I had earned a BFA in Ceramics and have made pots full time ever since. Over the years I have made many changes in my work. I feel this ability to create new designs, style and forms has always kept me from becoming bored and burnt out.

After 25 years of making pots I still can’t wait to get to my studio every day for work.The current body of work I am producing is a combination of functional and non functional ceramics. The majority of the work is made in an alternative method which involves separate sections of clay pieced together in a similar way a patchwork quilt is made.

This technique allows for a visual change in every piece since no two pieces can be put together the same way. The influences of nature and abstract art are woven together in this work. I find this method of producing work a challenge to my design sense because it leads to endless possibilities in how I produce my work."


Stop in at Carolina Creations to see his work or visit his page on our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment