Thursday, July 16, 2015

On the Road 3

We just returned from a whirlwind tour picking up glass and pottery.....

This is installment #3

Once we left the Chappelles we headed north and visited Helen, GA.

Everything we had heard about it was true. 

It was cute, and the shops in the center of town were pretty tacky but it was very clean and well maintained and very busy.






But not our kind of place. 

There were some places outside of town that looked nice like at Sautee but by that time we were headed toward Tallulah Gorge State Park.

While Michael hung out at the campsite I walked the 1.5 mile trail to see the falls.



It turns out that Karl Wallenda in 1970 walked across the gorge on a tightrope. Yikes!





It was beautiful.

We headed north and stopped at Goats on the Roof!! It was a real treat. Yes the goats hang out on the roof, you can feed them and watch them interact with each other. 


They make your ice-cream right in front of you and it was the creamiest I've ever had. I know it was only 10:30 in the morning but I had read about it so just had to try it. It did not disappoint.




They, of course, have a gift shop too. That was nice as well, most of the items they carried were private label or had something to do with goats. Unlike most items you see at a roadside attraction.



One more stop in Georgia and it was at Clayton, of course the one shop I saw I really wanted to go to was closed.... on Wednesday??? Go figure. It's high season, I'm told they have an 8 month season, so I'd be open every minute of those 8 months I could... not even so much for the money but so as to not disappoint visitors that may never be that way again (me).

Other than that the Downtown was thriving and very nice.

 Then we headed into North Carolina....

... read about that in      On the Road 4

No comments:

Post a Comment