Sunday, February 16, 2014

31 Days of Thanks Day 17 Art Shows throughout the area

31 Days of Thanks Insight into who has influenced us, our art, and our business throughout the years.

Doing art shows throughout the area gave me a lot of recognition and exposure.

Some of the shows I did and pieces I sold through those shows are below.

Craven Arts Council and Gallery (several!)

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort - that was a 2 person show I did with Ruth Heppler where I showed my ink and watercolor pieces.  I never intended to do the NC Lighthouses, there are SO MANY pieces of art and prints of them, but people kept coming into Carolina Creations asking for them. I finally gave in and am glad I did! I've sold quite a few prints of them. But the best part is that more than once I've told this story to people and they said, yes but there aren't any others like this, and so on. I am always thrilled when someone says something like that.
The Council for the Arts in Jacksonville


The Beaufort County Arts Council in Washington (several!)
At one of these I won best watercolor for this piece.


North Carolina Crafts Gallery in Carrboro (several!)
North Carolina Watercolor Society Show in Washington

Once Carolina Creations really took off I didn't have as much time to be running all over to shows so the past ten years I've done very few. It is also nice to have your own gallery where you can show your work since most galleries aren't interested in EVERYthing you do, just some parts of it, if you're an artist like me and work in many different mediums. Of course having your own gallery comes with a price, a mortgage or rent, employees, insurance, advertising, etc, not complaining "just sayin"!

In 2013 I did do the Home Coming Show at the Craven Arts Council with this piece.
One day when we retire from Carolina Creations, I'll probably go back to entering these shows. But that isn't going to happen (retiring) for a while!

Retirement for an artist is different than retirement for most people, we'll still do our artwork, we just won't be going to the office (gallery) every day!


It's been a fun ride.


- Jan Francoeur


No comments:

Post a Comment