Sunday, January 19, 2014

31 Days of Thanks Day 13 Arts Council and painting more

31 Days of Thanks Insight into who has influenced us, our art, and our business throughout the years.

Shortly after our arrival I went into the arts council to see what that was all about and met the executive director Cary.

Cary was the director when we started having ArtWalks - the first one was for the Governors Conference on Tourism. ArtWalks have really done a lot to promote the arts in our Downtown and boost business.

During that first visit to the Arts Council I picked up a newsletter.

In the newsletter the announcement was made that they had hired a new gallery director, a graduate of Siena Heights College - "you have to be kidding I thought", my graduating class at Siena was only 100, what are the chances another graduate was here in New Bern?

I made a phone call, and said, "I'm not big into this alumni thing but I went to Siena too." That was the start of our now 24+ year friendship with Carol Tokarski.

I was thrilled when Carol and I had a joint show at the Arts Council, it was a show of New Bern scenes and the first watercolors I'd done since college. As I remember Carol painted trees and I painted architecture.

Through the years we've worked on different projects together, most recently A Dickens of a Christmas and the Dickens Story Boards.

Thank you Arts Council, Cary and Carol!!

- Jan Francoeur

No comments:

Post a Comment