Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Backsplash project step 2


A couple days ago I showed a photo of my kitchen where I am going to install a back splash.

Step 1 is to decide what it's going to look like, which I have. It will mostly be neutral color with scattered blocks of bright color.

In photo number 2 you see the clay. I slice off pieces and put them on the slab roller which rolls the clay 1/4 of an inch thick.

Because the panel is so large I have pieced the clay together, used a blade to smooth it out, then cut it into the sizes of tiles I want.

I have to remember to roll and cut the panel out larger than I want it to end up because the clay shrinks quite a bit as the water evaporates out of it and then shrinks again when it's fired.

Next I put dry wall over the tiles to encourage the pieces to dry flat.

This panel is the far left panel for the backsplash, which is about 1/5 of the whole project.

No comments:

Post a Comment