Sunday, February 22, 2009

Finally the sculpture is done & ready to hang!

Some things just take longer than you plan.......

If you've been reading this blog for a while or went on the spring home tour, you might remember last March I started talking about this sculpture I was making for the entry way to our new house.

I drew the pattern you see Michael holding up in the spot it's going to go. It's a big wall so wanted to make sure it was big enough.

In the next photo you see a detail shot of the bird in the drawing.

Next you'll see that I've rolled out the base and was adding the edge detail.

I loved making it!

Sometimes people ask me how I can sell the pieces I make. What is exciting is the act of creating, once a piece is done it's time to move on to the next one. Besides if I didn't sell the pieces where would I put them all??!!

Working with clay is a lot more physical than painting and because of the size of this piece it was VERY physical.


I did the sculpture all in 1 piece then I cut it apart.

At that time our biggest kiln would only hold a piece 14" square (we've since gotten a larger one that will hold something 36" wide and at least that tall.)


I managed to get it dried and fired with no cracking, then I couldn't decide how to glaze it so it sat there for months while I pondered that. Then came Christmas which always takes over our life and starts in September and finishes the middle of January.

Now, of course I've got it finished and will expect Michael to get it hung immediately!!

I'll post another photo of what it looks like hung.

Next it's time to tackle our back splash. You know what they say about the cobblers kids. In our old house it took me 9 or 10 years to get the back splash done in that house.

I plan on starting it in the next few weeks. I'm going to use my friend Naira's work as inspiration for the backsplash. It will just have color, no images.

Hopefully it won't take me a year to get that done.

No comments:

Post a Comment