Monday, February 02, 2009

Amethyst is the Birthstone for February

Amethyst one of a kind cross by Gregory Pyra.

The gemstone Amethyst is the Birthstone for February. It is also the Zodiac stone for the constellation of Pisces.

Amethyst is the purple variety of the mineral quartz and is a popular gemstone. The name "amethyst" comes from the Greek and means "not drunken." This was perhaps due to a belief that amethyst would ward off the effects of alcohol, but most likely the Greeks were referring to the almost wine-like color of some stones that they may have encountered. Its color is unparalleled, and even other, more expensive purple gemstones are often compared to its color and beauty. Although it must always be purple to be amethyst, it can and does have a wide range of purple shades.

We have some wonderful pieces in the gallery with Amethyst stones like this beautiful sterling silver, amethyst and pearl pendant by Joan Horn.

Joan graduated with a BFA in metalsmithing from Tyler School of Art, Temple University. Joan Z. Metalwork premiered in 1990.

Joan says "I love working in my studio, and my hands feel most at home when they have a pliers in them. Tools that were never intended for jewelry lead me into whole new directions. I question my auto mechanic about devices he uses.

When the plumber comes for household repairs I inspect his tubing cutters and torch tip. A tube wringer from a dental supply catalog inspires new lines of jewelry. I visualize everything in the world as if it were a piece of jewelry. Musical notes from the sheet music in choir become a brooch pattern.

Gates in Barcelona become a pendant. My jewelry pieces are studies in line, color and movement"

No comments:

Post a Comment