Monday, March 06, 2017

A Quick Trip to Baltimore and the Inner Harbor

From Philadelphia I journeyed to Baltimore.

There I like to stay at the Hyatt or the newly renovated Sonesta because of the views of the Inner Harbor.



From Philadelphia I journeyed to Baltimore.

There I like to stay at the Hyatt or the newly renovated Sonesta because of the views of the Inner Harbor.

I usually have no time to look around while I'm there but this time I did. My first stop was the Visionary Museum - I could see Volis Simpson's sculpture from my hotel room! I've stared at the sculpture for years and finally got to go. Michael and I met Volis several times in his workshop when we would take visitors to view his amazing wind sculptures near Wilson, NC. We have a small one on the corner of our third floor balcony. I've written other blog posts about him.

Volis Simpson Park in Wilson

Vollis Simpson


I was pleased to see that they acknowledged him in the elevator!




I loved a lot of things in the this museum including the 
beautiful glass and mirror mosiacs on the outside.


This crazy lady.



This wall art made out of bread!






From the Visionary Museum I took the water Taxi to Fells Point.

I had gone the night before via taxi, the taxi ride out was ok, the driver very nice and helpful.

The taxi ride back was not, the driver talked on his phone the entire time in a foreign language and was downright rude when we asked for a receipt.

I would highly recommend the water taxi instead, It cost $8 for all day plus who doesn't love a boat ride.

As far as Fells Point goes, the only real attraction there right now are the restaurants, if you aren't going to eat I wouldn't bother. It has been cleaned up quite a bit since my last visit 5 or 6 years ago.

One of the things I saw on my way that was really cool was this water vessel.


We pulled up right beside it and I wondered what in the world it was. When I got home I saw an article on facebook and thought "that's what it was!" Here's a link. 

It's a machine that picks trash out of the waterway.

Later that night I walked to the Walters Art Museum, which was very interesting and on the way saw this tower.


It's a Washington Monument that predates the Washington Monument in DC. You can walk up this one too. There is a small museum at the base. I'm told the view from the top is great.

The last stop for Baltimore was the Helmand Restaurant not far from the Monument and the Walters. The food is Afghani and the place was packed but we only had to wait a few minutes to be served. I gave it 4 1/2 stars!

Next stop New Bern, NC!














No comments:

Post a Comment