Wednesday, February 15, 2017

A Walk Around Philadelphia and my recommendations

The main reason I stay at the Courtyard or the Residence Inn when I go to Philly is I get to look out the window at City Hall. I recommend both of these hotels.


The past few years when I've been there there has been scaffolding on the building while they cleaned it, this year the scaffolding is gone.

Obviously it has been a long time since I've walked through City Hall because I did not realize there was a garden on the other side from where I stay. It's called the Dilworth Garden and there is a maze there for the winter.

In case you haven't been city hall has a large courtyard in the middle of it! And I haven't done this but you can go up into the tower of city hall. The view must be incredible! Buy a ticket at the visitors center inside city hall and reserve a time, obviously there isn't room for a lot of people up there at once.

Just around the corner is Macy's in the Wanamaker Building, built in 1911. Wanamaker's was the first Department Store in Philadelphia. The most amazing thing about it is the huge organ in the atrium. The organ is from the St. Louis worlds fair and is the largest playable organ in the world.

It has been played daily since its installation. I always try to hear it each visit and this year happened to go upstairs to shoot this photo and was invited in to see the keyboard. Wow!







The weather was very nice for February, as I stated in a previous blog post, I've been there in some pretty cold and snowy weather. Took a stroll by Independence Hall. And other architectural beauties in the oldest part of town. A hint, lots of the shops in that part of town are closed on Mondays.







And the food is fabulous, there are so many great restaurants you could never eat at all of them but here are a few that I have eaten at.

Vedge is a vegetarian restaurant on Locust Street - my first time there, wow! The food was delicious (as was the Daiquiri or two we had made with lemongrass), and beautifully plated.




Didn't go to Moriarty’s this time but often do. Can't beat the burgers and over 150 kinds of beer.



But I did go to the Caribou Cafe. which I do every visit. I've had some of the best food I've ever eaten here and this time I was not disappointed.




I've never spent much time in China Town but did this time. I didn't have time to get my hair cut before I left New Bern so went to Perfect Cut and was very happy with both the cut and the price, I highly recommend it!




Of course my favorite murals in Philadelphia are the mosiacs by Isaiah Zagar I've written about before but there are fabulous murals all over downtown Philadelphia.




Other recommendations - Di Brunos Deli.

and of course the not to be missed Reading Terminal.

I've written about some of these places in other blog posts but never tire of visiting Philadelphia.
Here are links to those.
Magic Garden
Home from Philadelphia and Baltimore 2014


My only disappointment this time was that there were people approaching you at every turn asking for money. It's unfortunate that in our country of plenty we have so many people living on the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment