Sunday, March 02, 2014

31 Days of Thanks Day 19 House and the beginning of our pottery odyssey

31 Days of Thanks Insight into who has influenced us, our art, and our business throughout the years.

Another artist wandered into the gallery, we struck up a conversation, and became fast friends.

We had just purchased a side hall house in the historic district and we were there about 6 months when we met her. We'd been working hard and hadn't done much with it.

She came in and said "you wouldn't know an artist lived here!" Of course we had been living on a boat for 3 years and in a motor home for an additional year before that so had minimized out belongings and had things stored in Michigan so it took us a while to get everything in one place.

Her comment inspired us to start thinking about how we could put our mark on the house.

We started by just hanging our collection of art that we had gathered. Then started looking at each room.

I decided I wanted to make a backsplash for the kitchen but didn't remember much about my pottery class I took in college so started researching that.

I took a class at the City Recreation Center. Told the teacher I wanted to do tiles, she said you want to do China Painting, I said no I just want to learn how to work with underglazes. And so I did.

Who would have thunk where it would lead!!

I don't have a photo of the entire back splash but have these photos.








When we sold the house we were told that the backsplash made the sale. I have to admit by the time I got around to doing OUR backsplash I had done many for other people. You know what they say about the cobblers kids.



Our pottery odyssey will be continued!!

- Jan Francoeur

No comments:

Post a Comment