Friday, August 14, 2009

New Painting


I actually got to paint today!!

Seems like I don't get as much time to paint these days as I'd like. And it probably doesn't help that when I do have time I have to decide "do I do a drawing, a watercolor, an oil or work on clay".

"They" always say, "pick a medium and stick with it". Well I did that for 20 years, I did ink drawings, mostly architectural renderings. I loved working in ink and still do.

However about 20 years ago (how can it be that long, am I that old?) I started adding color to my ink drawings, then add ink to my watercolors, then working with clay, then most recently, probably 5 years ago started doing some oils.

My ink drawings and watercolors are pretty tight and my clay is more whimsical. What I'm working toward in my oils is looser handling with more emphasis on color.

Don't know if it's exactly done yet but it was fun to do.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Janet. I struggle as well with whether I should not only stay with one medium, but with one style. I see something that inspires me, and then it tells me how it needs to be captured in paint. It's that simple. If all I painted were rustic barns in sunlight, then it would be easy to stay with one style; one medium. Other than that, I believe it is vital we keep pushing ourselves to new challenges. Kinkade has stuck with a style; Picasso did not.

    ReplyDelete