Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Just back from Pinehurst and Fayetteville

I just returned from a couple days visiting my nieces in Fayetteville. We had a great time catching up. We also did a little shopping and looking around.

There were two surprises!

I always love going to Pinehurst, their downtown is small and easy to walk around and see all the shops in a short time. I was thankful that my favorite clothing store the faded rose was still there but very disappointed that there are many, many empty shops. In fact there was only about 1/3 of the shops that there normally are. Don't know what's up with that.

Southern Pines, on the other hand, looked great and the storefronts were full. There were some cute shops. The only bad thing is that we were there on Monday and lots of shops were closed. (which is why we are open 7 days a week, we hate to disappoint anyone.)

But the biggest surprise was downtown Fayetteville. When we moved to New Bern downtown Fayetteville was a wasteland. I think they called it FayetteNam. I remember driving downtown there and seeing the ladies standing on the street corners and hanging out of dilapadated buildings looking for a little business.

What a surprise I had. Now don't get me wrong there are still many empty buildings but there is difenately a revival going on! New condos are just being finished, 2nd floor condos are being built. There are some cute shops. There are many empty buildings like I said but they are cleaned out just waiting for someone to move it. Reminds me in a way of what New Bern looked like when we opened on Middle Street in 1989.

It will be interesting to watch how things develop, both in Pinehurst and Fayetteville.

No comments:

Post a Comment