Sunday, June 15, 2014

Healing Ceilings

The other day an artist friend who has been fighting cancer, and beating it, came in and told me about a project he has been helping with, it's called "Healing Ceilings".


Most of you know Michael has been going through some treatments both here and in Chapel Hill. Both facilities obviously know the value of surrounding the patients with beautiful things to look at

A friend of ours talked about getting chemotherapy in the hallway of a facility!! I can't imagine. Patients often spend as much as 6 hours hooked up.

Artists from all over North Carolina have been painting ceiling tiles which replace the white acoustic tile with seascapes, landscapes, floral and animal designs.

Amy Jo Edwards launched the project this summer after her husband, Bill McConley, an artist, went through a second round of chemotherapy treatments  complained of the boredom of staring at the white expanse above.

“I knew there was a need, and I knew there is an incredible artist community here that my husband and I are a part of, and I just didn’t want to have to sit – or for anybody else to have to sit – under that bare ceiling anymore,” Edwards said.

So my friend brought me a couple tiles which I'll be painting soon!

For more information about this project visit the website, by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment