Sunday, December 01, 2013

31 Days of Thanks Day 6 My Folks

31 Days of Thanks Insight into who has influenced us, our art, and our business throughout the years.

Even though they didn't think studying art would get me anywhere, my folks did support my decision as long as I went after a BA instead of a BFA. Meaning I would study other things in addition to art. Well thinking back, the art classes are the only classes I remember!

Neither of my folks were artists but we were told that my Dad was a concert pianist as a young man, and hated it, he was pushed into it by his mother. We never once heard him play and he never spoke about it. Makes me sad to think about it, knowing how much enjoyment I get out of doing my artwork.

My Mom was a writer, and like me, was not at the top of her English class, but it ended up being one of her passions and she was good at it.

Thinking about how they influenced me - most has nothing directly to do with art, more to do with life.

I was taught that the world owes you nothing, if you want to be something you need to make it happen yourself. It's not that they wouldn't help you if you needed it but they did not approve of anyone standing with their hand out waiting to be given things.

So I've always worked hard and have always wanted to learn as much as possible about whatever I was involved in.

Thank you Mom and Dad, miss you.

In my Day 6 post I'll talk about how going to work for a commercial printer helps me even today, some 35 years later.



- Jan Francoeur

No comments:

Post a Comment