Sunday, October 22, 2017

Sgraffito

I've always wanted to do Sgraffito, and I have a little on a few hand built pieces, but to really be able to turn our a body of work I needed to throw the pieces. It's so much faster than hand building! Yes I could have done it on some of the pieces Michael made but I did not have to time at that point in my life to experiment.

So it seems I have a knack for throwing, according to my teacher. I had 5 lessons and while I have a lot to learn I can turn out a halfway decent looking piece. And throwing for sgraffito is easier than throwing for the way I usually decorate because I'm carving away a lot of the clay so if there is an imperfection or two, no big deal, carve it away!

Other reasons I'm interested in this technique, I draw a lot, I've done scratchboard quite a bit in the past, I've done wood block printing which is kind of the same technique except you carve into wood rather than clay, ditto linoleum block printing, so it's natural that I would like to do this!

It's very exciting for me to have the time....

I forgot to post the photos!  I'll post them when they get fired.


No comments:

Post a Comment