Sunday, August 06, 2017

Lavender Fields

I don't remember that people grew lavender in Michigan when I was growing up there, but they do now!

We visited two lavender farms, one near Pentwater and the other north of Boyne City. 

The first, Cherry Hill Farms is most famous in the lavender world because of their Labyrinth.

And in the center is the most comprehensive herb garden I have ever seen.

This is a photo from above.








Each part of the center design is planted with different herbs.
A chart is provided that shows what is planted in each section.



My very favorite planted sections were around the center of the circle. Here each tiny plot was planted with a different theme. Medicinal, Stress, Shakespeare, Edible Flowers, and so on.







Connie walking the labryinth.

Just to the north is a great scenic overlook on Lake Michigan.




A garden in downtown Frankfort.


This is my second visit to Lavender Hill Farms near Boyne City.
It has a nice giftshop with lots of gifts depicting lavender and lots of items made with lavender.
They grow more than 25 varieties of lavender on their 33 acre farm. You can  even cut your own bouquets.

They too have a Labyrinth.





Near the Lavender Hill Farm is the Horton Bay General Store. It is on Walloon Lake, where Ernest Hemingway spent much of his youth. 







It appears that there are about 230 lavender farms in the US, including these in North Carolina - I've got them on my list to visit!

Hauser Creek Farm just west of Winston Salem.

The Lavender Garden in China Grove.

Sunshine Lavender Farm - only open for special events - north of Hillsborough.

I guess you have figured out I LOVE lavender!

No comments:

Post a Comment