Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Getting caught up on commissions then on to new work

This summer has sure been a transition period for me. How to move on without Michael?

I saw that the Eagles are on tour. Who is replacing Glenn Frey? So I looked on the Eagles website and found out it is his son. As I scrolled through the website I saw the lyrics to this is song Glenn wrote. It was read at his funeral.  I feel a little connection to him because we lived across the street from him when we lived in Aspen on Snowmass Creek and his post office box was right next to ours at the Conoco. We would see him there often and he always spoke.

“It's Your World Now”
Written by Glenn Frey and Jack Tempchin
From the Eagles’ Long Road Out of Eden album


A perfect day, the sun is sinkin' low
As evening falls, the gentle breezes blow
The time we shared went by so fast
Just like a dream, we knew it couldn't last
But I'd do it all again
If I could, somehow
But I must be leavin' soon
It's your world now


It's your world now
My race is run
I'm moving on
Like the setting sun
No sad goodbyes
No tears allowed
You'll be alright
It's your world now


Even when we are apart
You'll always be in my heart
When dark clouds appear in the sky
Remember true love never dies


But first a kiss, one glass of wine
Just one more dance while there's still time
My one last wish: someday, you'll see
How hard I tried and how much you meant to me


It's your world now
Use well your time
Be part of something good
Leave something good behind
The curtain falls
I take my bow
That's how it's meant to be
It's your world now
It's your world now
It's your world now


Since Michael died last year I've sold cars, bought a car, refinanced our house, done plumbing, painted walls and a lot of other things that would have been Michaels jobs. I've also sold Carolina Creations, the business we built together and gave us such a great lifestyle the past 25+ years. 

I've done some traveling, had time to think about life and what's next. But before I can really move on to what's next I've got to finish the many commissions I've got on my plate, and get Carolina Creations restocked with pottery. 

Here are some of the pieces I've been working on since I returned from my 5 week trip to Michigan, NYC and Philadelphia.







These cake plates are in progress, then I need to paint mats for 2 wedding invitations. Then maybe I can do some new work. Whoops I forgot I need to do my 2018 calendar and an ornament.


But to soothe my anxiety I HAD to lay out some new small paintings. Starting small with 12 x 12 inch canvases because painting is just like anything you are trying to become proficient at, you have
to practice, practice, practice. Watercolors and clay I practice at all the time but oils aren't so easy to just pick up. So I laid out these canvases and will stare at them while I finish the rest of the jobs I have to do! I'll post them again when I finish.


Back to the introduction of this post, what I want to do in my world now is do some of the things I could never take the time to do while running Carolina Creations.

Become proficient at painting in oils.

Do garden sculpture.

Do mosaics.

In other words create some beauty to leave behind for others to enjoy and of course to satisfy my yearning to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment