Thursday, September 21, 2017

Colorado and Santa Fe 2017

I returned to Colorado to visit my friend Deb. We both owned and sold galleries, which is how we met. We often stayed together at shows and have a lot in common.

I flew into Denver and we walked the trail in front of the lot where she and her husband are going to buy a home with a net-zero energy consumption.

"The Geos Neighborhood combines traditional village living with the most advanced design and building practices. Community members will enjoy a pedestrian lifestyle with front porches, tree-lined sidewalks, corner stores, and neighborhood services. And thanks to Colorado’s unique climate, Geos will utilize the sun and the earth to produce as much energy as it consumes, with a total cost that’s equal to or less than ordinary built-to-code communities."

It looks very interesting! Read all about it.

From there we made our way to Santa Fe. I don't know why but I never made it there when I lived in Colorado. I made it as far as Taos but not Santa Fe.

On the way we drove through the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.







Other than the art I never thought I would like Santa Fe.  I don't like western art and I'm not crazy about adobe and the desert is too dry, but as it turned out I DID like it! There is a lot of contemporary art and there is enough water that there are trees and flowers. I guess the adobe just disappears into the landscape.








We saw an amazing amount of art that I liked on Canyon Road and at the Railyards. Most of the art around the Plaza was western, cowboys and Indians, and tons of turquoise so that wasn't of much interest to me.

The thing I found refreshing was the fact that all the gallery owners spoke and were interested in talking to you. Just like when we lived in Aspen, just looking at a person, how they are dressed, doesn't give you a clue whether they might spend $10,000 or not. Treat everyone well because you just don't know.

Some of the artists whose work I had never seen before and really liked.....

Louisa McElwain at Evoke Contemporary....

These canvases are HUGE, she really piled the paint on and painted them en plein aire!





Peggy Immel 






Tom Perkinson - 


Martha Rea Baker - cold wax and oil paint.




Katrina Howarth, love the freshness of her work.


From Santa Fe we took a drive down the Turquoise Trail, a road that runs between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. The funky little town of Madrid is interesting. There are biker bars, shops and old miners shacks.



The mountain vistas on this road were beautiful.




We HAD to driver on Route 66, just because, and saw a few interesting things in Old Town Albuquerque.







Then we made our way back to Denver.

I forgot how beautiful the Aspen are....




Our last stop was Red Rocks, in the second photo the sky scrapers of Denver are in the background.




It was an inspiring trip and I'm anxious to stay home and do some paintings.
AND start planning next years Colorado trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment