Friday, August 17, 2012

Andree Richmond Ceramic Sculptor

Andree Richmond






Artist Statement

Technology and the current economic system move us at breakneck speed separating us from our natural rhythms. Wooing us onto wheels to travel too fast to nourish our soul and sense of humor. My work is about my struggle for balance.
 
Making of the Wheeled Animals

The wheeled animals start their life as two bowls, made by pinching a ball of clay thinner until it becomes a hollow shape, which varies depending on which animal I am creating. The body of the animals are made by joining the two shapes(bowls) together and they are paddled into shape. I then roll and attach lengths of clay to the body for legs. While these are drying, I start modelling the neck and head. I usually work in sets of three. 

Going back to the body- legs I attach the axles for the wheels and carve the animal's form from original the rough shape, when the body is complete I go back to the neck-head and scult the details, then attach it to the body. 

Finally I sponge the entire piece to make it smooth for painting (this I believe is where the erroneous notion that my pieces are slipcast arose) The animal is then allowed to dry and is fired. After washing the piece to remove any dust from the first firing, I paint the decoration with underglaze, brush glaze on top and refire. 

The wheels are then attached and the piece is complete. 

Why the lids? I have always been partial to tins, boxes and secret compartments. I like the added complexity that an opening to the inside gives the piece. The best story I have heard for the lids, was given by a young boy to his mother, "that's were you put the gas in."


We are pleased to be able to represent New Bern artist Andree at Carolina Creations!




No comments:

Post a Comment