Monday, June 08, 2015

Slow Blogging

Yikes!!

It has been almost a month since I posted, I don't remember the last time that happened. I usually try to post 8-10 times a month since I know I have some regular readers (thank you!)

I will do another Down Memory Lane post, but for now I will say we spent a couple weeks in Michigan visiting family and friends.

Once we left and started home we were going to stop at a friends Gallery in Akron but they were closed on Sunday when we went by so we continued toward Pennsylvania.

We stayed at Beaver Creek State Park, along the Ohio River.




It is quite picturesque, the Sandy and Beaver Canal, which fed into the Ohio and Erie Canal, passed through what is now the park. This canal ran 73 miles and had 90 locks. One of which is in the State Park near their pioneer village.

I've always been fascinated by this mode of transportation. Some of my ancestors worked on building the Erie Canal and others were some of the first pioneer families that went west to Ohio and Michigan.

On my list of what I want to do before I die is to be able to ride my bike on some of the tow paths and on some of the trails on the "Rails to Trails" system.

We then visited some friends that have a gallery similar to ours in Ligonier, PA. It was our first time there and was a beautiful little town, and the Laurel Highlands, the area in which Ligonier lies, is stunning. Have to go back there!




A hint though.

On this trip we went to Midway, KY on a Monday and very few shops were open and in Ligonier, on a Monday only about a fourth of them were open. And we couldn't imagine that in a town the size of Akron a shop would be closed on Sunday.

Yes it would be nice for our staff if we were closed one or two days a week but it such a disappointment for visitors. We are open every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas days.




No comments:

Post a Comment