Saturday, January 24, 2015

I know it when I see it

I was just on a business trip and took "Still Life With Bread Crumbs" by Anna Quindlen with me. A line in the novel is the title of this post,  I know it when I see it.

I am often asked how do you pick what you sell in the gallery?

Like the line in the book I just know it when I see it.

I look for things that are innovative, something I haven't seen before or at least not done in the same way.

I can look at a piece and know who might buy it.

The piece has a nice aesthetic.

It is good quality and will last.

Pieces that are properly priced

People are often surprised that I often choose things that are not necessarily my taste. I'm thinking of my customers and what else we have in the gallery that it might go with.

Here are some of the artists I have found recently who will be sending us work in the next few months.


Love them all.



This is a large tree of life sculpture that hangs on the wall - coming soon! Love the weight, size, meaning. Would look great in an entryway, over the fireplace, outdoors on the gate.


These wine openers are really neat, each design is burned by hand and we'll have some with New Bern on them. What I like the most is the fact that we can have custom ones done just for you, with your name, a symbol, or whatever you like. The only extra charge is a little for postage.

We have a nice collection of both soaps and things made from bees wax. I was given a bar of this soap and it was wonderful. We also have tea related items so their honey goes well with that. Packaging is as important as the product inside. If you can't get people to pick it up to look at it it won't sell. We'll have honey comb, soap, skin cream, and honey from these folks soon.


I've been following this artist for years and finally met her. Love the bright colors and whimsy. Her work will appeal to folks that like our StoryPeople, Elisa Drumm, and Justine pieces!

In another post I'll write about other new pieces and artists we have coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment