Friday, November 13, 2009

Randi Chervitz


I met Randi Chervitz a couple years ago and have been admiring her pieces ever since. While walking down the isle at a show this summer in NYC she ran up to me and said, "You inspired me to start a blog and I love it!"

In August I spoke several times at the Buyers Market of American Craft at the Convention Center in Philadelphia, about blogging. Randi was in the audience.

Randi has been making jewelry since 1987.





She began exploring forms in metal at Parsons School of Design, New York City, as part of her studies there. From Parsons, Chervitz transferred to Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, the "Harvard" of metalsmithing, to study with internationally-known jeweler, Richard Mawdsley.


Since graduating in 1991 with a Cum Laude double major in Metal and Fiber, Chervitz has been hard at work keeping her artwork at the center of her life. In 1991, she began selling her work, jewelry pieces that explore fiber techniques in metal. Her influences include couture fashion, its history, expressiveness, and relationship to everyday life. Also important are the transformation of the role of women in the past fifty years, and the emergence of the self as one grows through life.



While building a following on the retail art fair circuit, Chervitz continued her personal and professional development by working in leadership roles in national and local retail stores. These experiences taught her to respect the consumer, as well as created an understanding of how high-end, one-of-a-kind objects influence the mass market.


Developing this knowledge has given her a unique perspective and understanding of how various market segments influence each other, and the impact that can have on artists choosing to make their livings through their art.



Chervitz feels privileged to make her own living through her art-making, and is constantly exploring new ways to create texture through metal. Her crocheted surfaces are her trademark, and hammered and soldered linear techniques reveal new directions.

"I first picked up my grandmother's crochet hook while taking a metal-smithing class in college. She taught me to knit when I was a child, and I always had good feelings about the individual stitches that make up a larger whole. Crocheting silver to make wearable objects quickly became my signature. From that exploration, I have continued on to add hammered metal, and a soldered, linear technique to my repertoire, as I continue to explore how assembling lines creates something significant."

I've shown a few of her pieces here, stop in to see more or you can shop online by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment